Firemen are repeating earlier warnings about the dangers of “self-combusting” tea towels following a house fire in Bournemouth.
It seems that tea towels that are dried after washing in a tumble drier can under certain circumstance self-combust. Freshly tumble dried tea towels that are folded when still warm can catch fire due to grease and oil residues. The heat within the folded tea towels can cause those residues to catch fire, with the tea towels self-combusting.
This is quite obviously a dangerous scenario and could possibly apply to napkins, kitchen aprons and the like. As a precaution it might be wise to dry tea towels naturally on the washing line when possible or over winter months use a clothes maiden.